Everyone I spoke to yesterday expressed outrage, sense of betrayal and shock over the NKF report. Even people who were normally passive and indifferent became angry. The NKF scandal holds many lessons for us Singaporeans, we have to learn them well in order not to repeat the same mistakes:
1. Never sue the SPH. The Straits Times is full of people who used to work for the ISD. They are good at finding your dirt and destroying you. So you have to control them and get them over to your side.
2. Singaporeans can be squeezed. Even desperate kidney patients can be squeezed for their last dollar without a whimper of protest. They were hardly subsidized and somehow magically these folks some of the so poor and helpless can fork out $2000 per month for treatment. Its a real miracle.....! So the lesson for the govt is never to spend money helping the poor and sick, somehow they will find a way to get by....even if they can't they will just suffer in silence so why bother to help them. The govt of Singapore should allow more miracles to happen continuing their policy of not giving much aid to the unemployed, poor and sick.
3. You can fool most Singaporeans most of the time. They don't seem to mind. They are willing to part with their money without asking too many questions. Once the money leave their hands, they don't bother to check where it has gone. For the past 20 years, Durai has been a model citizen. Just put up a few touching stories and their pockets will be opened.
4. Transparency is a horrifying thing. After the NKF episode, I can't imagine people wanting to ask for more transparency. Imagine if a big organisation like HDB becomes transparent, the report would be like 30,000 pages compared with 300 pages. Questions like how much direct cost to build a HDB flat will be answered...... Singaporeans risk even more emotional turmoil.....
5. Patrons do nothing but show up at charity shows. What do you expect? They are important people who are really busy. They do nothing and know nothing.
6. Accountants can do magic. Yes and NKF accounts were also audited. See how important accountants are to make you look good.
7. The truth brings pain. It is best kept hidden and beautified by a colorful facade.