Sunday, April 30, 2006

Lucky Tan : I SINCERELY APOLOGISE

I, Lucky Tan, would like to apologise to the Credit Card Department of a local bank. Last week after I returned from my overseas work assignment, I found that I have received a letter say that I have not paid my credit card bill and late fees penalty + interest will be charged. I remembered that I have mailed the payment for all my bills so I called up the call center insisting that I have already made payment. The bank checked and confirmed that I did not pay, I was very angry as I distinctly remembered that I paid - now I have to pay late charge penalty and interest amounting to $82.5!! That amount of money means alot to me because it is worth at least 2 buffet dinners.

I remember on the day I flew off for my overseas trip, I was on a very heavy schedule, yet made sure all my personal adminstration, that included 8 different payments for SCV, OCBC, SingTel, SingPower, DBS, UOB...etc was all done before I rushed off for my overseas trip. My schedule was heavy as I had to prepare for my presentation, finish my report and make out 8 checks for payment. I was certain that I wrote the check for paying the bank.

I want to apologise because today I found the envelope containing the payment on my study desk. Apparently, in my hurry, I only grabbed 7 envelopes to mail out. I'm sorry for the distress caused to the bank's call center staff who was under tremendous pressure to verify that I had not mailed my payment. Given Singapore is trying to improve service I thionk it would have been better service to alert me if payment is not received 2 days before the deadline OR if there is flexibility in granting a short grace period OR waive the late fees....I'm sure an excellent bank like our local banks will consider it.

I would like to also thank the bank for not exposing the whole episode to all my friends, colleagues, relatives and to everyone who knows Lucky Tan. That would have unfairly ruined my reputation over an innocent mistake that can happen to any ordinary person. I'm also glad the incident is not reported in the media, otherwise people will mistake me for a person with no integrity, I'm sure our 1st world media with its high standard of integrity will not deliberately create false impressions of Singaporeans.

Singapore is lucky to have such great service from our local banks and public depts. They exercise great flexibility and respect the privacy of individuals. Just the other day, my friend went to register his newborn at the registrar of births, he filled out the Chinese name wrongly and had to ask for another form, but they did not disqualify his baby from being a Singaporean. They even handed him a form without verifying with the CCTV that it is an honest mistake.... not that he wanted to register his child with Chinese name that composed of characters not found in the Chinese dictionary. Now how is that for good service....kudos for the public servants for good service.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please call mediacorp as member of the public to say how disgusting we find the misrepresentation of the non-PAP parties during their coverage of the election.

If everyone us call, they will be change. Trust me. Many of the reporters WANT to report the TRUTH! However, they are stopped by their bosses.

We are Professionals & thinking people must do our part by giving them pressure from all sides. We enough pressure and professionals support, the reports will have call in figures to back their desire to want to report the TRUTH.

Many reporters are on our side, many policemen are on our side, they are singaporeans too. We can support them by calling in & writing in.

Let's give them tons of calls and emails to press for TRUTH. We can make a different. Each call can make a different.

MediaCorp News Hotline 68 2222 68

Feedback
Channelnewsasia.com
Give us your feedback on our content.
Contact: newseditor@channelnewsasia.com

What are you waiting for.....pick up the phone and call, logon and email. Give them support to report the TRUTH and nothing but the TRUTH.

Some reporters said they hate the censor and want to resign, they need our support, they need our encourgement, they need to hear from us to know that they are not fighting alone against their bosses.

gayle said...

Luckytan, you should be ashamed of yourself! Where is your public statement apologizing for being human and making mistakes?! With your having forgotten to pay your credit card bill you have obviously proven yourself to be an incorrigible unworthy non-transparent(opaque??) dishonest rogue, unfit to be elec.. to be a credit card owning citizen!

Anonymous said...

Actually WP James got only himself to blame.

It is not ONCE but TWICE. Because of him, WP had to suffer a negative publicity.

WP is indeed strong but they had to be careful such careless mistakes.

PAP is just waiting for hiccups to happen and try to capitalise the whole issue.

Right now i think WP have to come up better reasons for the voters and how to counter back PAP's accusation on WP candidate's intergity.

They have to do it quick and move on to serious issues.

Aragorn said...

haha...

i read your article twice before seeing the connection to that CCTV incident.

haha...

next time pay your bills by GIRO!

haha...

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, if you support PAP, any mistakes made will be just honest mistake. If it's a serious honest mistake, just admit you look silly yourself and you can move on with life.

Seeing that you're a staunch PAP supporter, I'm sure yours is just an honest mistake.

gayle said...

workers' party has done their best in playing it down, but the PAP and the media have really gotten their teeth into it and won't let go, it seems. mohammed rahizan yaacob at the WP rally in hougang earlier tonight also ridiculed the situation when he opened his speech with "Dear Friends, I have a very important announcement to make. [long pause] Yesterday I lost my umbrella. There were so many things to do..." -- it remains to be seen if there will be any mention of that in the ST tomorrow. Doubtful :)

Anonymous said...

Lucky Tan,
You owe all credit card holders in Singapore an apology as well. Because of you not telling the truth, banks no longer believe peoples story of having mail their cheque on time.

I also demand you denounce your Singapore citizenship as well and leave this country. You not telling the truth has led the whole world to believe that S'poreans are liars.

Singapore is only for the PAP and its supporters who only make HONEST mistakes not innocent mistakes. Innocent mistakes are unacceptable.

Sqiar said...

Thank you very much for this article, it is so rare to see nowadays written as fervently article. I enjoyed reading it and I learned a lot of things. I will go and continue reading your blog =). Good luck for the future and another one for the quality of it.You can also check out this (http://www.sqiar.com/consultancy/tableau/).