Here in my hotel room after a hard day at work, I begin to ponder the most compelling reasons for voting the PAP:
1. Totally discourage all opposition & tell them we don't need them. The PAP is trying to eliminate all opposition members especially Low TK and Chiam. Without these pesky opposition members, the number of questions in parliament will fall significantly, many PAP MPs don't even turn up given they are GM of this company, director of that company etc. If our ministers are given a hard time during parliament, we may have to up their salaries even more to keep them. We really have to keep the number of opposition members down otherwise our ministers will have to be compensated more for answering so many of their questions in parliament.
2. Approve the newly picked PAP nomininees whom we don't really know. They are picked by the most rigorous selection process possible....so you can trust the quality. Of course while probably not a single one of them will stand up in parliament and question why must bloggers be presecuted, all of them are men & women of highest integrity and will serve us well taking care of our interest. I notice that most (or probably all) of them are part-time MPs with full time careers to take care of, we can expect them to give 100% to their MP role. Take the example of the GM of Microsoft whom the PAP recruited, you can expect her to give 100% attention to the people who vote for her and still run Microsoft's Asia Pacific at the same time. see the high calibre of the people selected by the PAP.
3. Give them a strong mandate to rule over us. In 2001, they got 75% of the votes, it is time to push it up to 76-80%. ....better still 90-100%. We know for a fact the everything the PAP does is for our own good, so why not just give them the highest possible support? Everything from Foreign Talents, GST, ERP, ...ultimately benefits Singaporeans....why would the PAP ever do something that will hurt us, they are such kind, considerate people who work tirelessly for the interest of Singaporeans. In other countries, policy making is a complex process of balancing the interests of businesses & workers...the political expedience vs citizen's needs....we can take it that the PAP always decides in our interest.
4. Thank the govt for the Progress Package. Although the PAP has said many times the progress package is not an election sweetener, I can anticipate the sheer joy of seeing the money in my hands just before the elections. SM Goh has said the elections will be announced only after 22 April 2006. Given that a minimum 9 days to allow for campaigning, one can see that you will get the Progress Package cash just before polling day. Of course this is all coincidence in terms of timing, I can't help but feel the compulsive need to thank someone for my windfall.
5. And the STRONGEST REASON OF ALL - Upgrading. Singaporeans are so lucky to have their votes linked to upgrading so they have a 2-in-1 purpose for their votes. Not only do you get to support your favorite PAP candidates, you're also voting for those nice fountains, dolphine sculptures and lifts that stop at every floor. No other voters in the world have such a useful vote - use it wisely.