Sunday, October 08, 2006

OMG Haze everywhere.....and a SHOCK at the library!

Yesterday I woke up with a splitting headache. I took 4 blue pills but the headache didn't get better so I decided to take a walk to the dolphin fountain that was built as part of my HDB upgrading. As soon as I got out, the haze got worse. I think it rose from moderate to unhealthy levels. I was almost choking from the pollutants when I saw a library. Yes, aircon! That should save me from suffocation.

As soon as I stepped into library, I felt better. I went to the Magazine & Newspaper Section. What can be better than being in an air-conditioned environment with a copy of the Straits Times.....there is no better cure for a haze induced headache. However as I was looking through the magazines, I got a rude SHOCK. I almost had a heart attack. I saw toxic poison on the shelf of the library! How irresponsible these librarians are! There were 8 FEER magazines in that library including the July issue with the toxic article "S'pore's Martyr Chee Soon Juan". I went immediately to the librarian to tell them to destroy the illicit magazines. I told them I'll be kind to them and not report them to the police post nearby if they destroy the magazine by afternoon. The librarian looked at me, she was totally blur! What is going on .....our civil servants don't know the law?! I showed her the Straits Times article that reported "it is an offense to import, distribute, possess...." copies of FEER. I could see her face turning white. She took the magazines down with shaking hands and promised to destroy them. I suggested burning because it was already hazy and it wouldn't make any difference to the environment since it was already so bad.

Please help to check other libraries in your HDB estate to make sure all copies of FEER are destroyed. In case you have not seen it, the magazine looks more like a scientific journal, there are no pictures, the front page is simple and blue with a list of article titles. I suggest you alert the librarian immediately when you find it. Don't touch it or browse through the magazine because it might harm your thinking.

Singaporeans are so lucky to have a govt that ensures that their minds are not harmed by reading material that contradicts the Straits Times. We cannot afford to be complacent. Our librarians have to be more alert not to break the law and get themselves into trouble. I suggest that all libraries be issued with a book burning bin, something like what they use to burn incense so that harmful publications can be incinerated without the ashes flying all over the place and polluting our beautiful environment.

13 comments:

Blueheeler - the dog that sniffs out fishy news said...

oh, the caustic sarcasm floweth...

Blueheeler - the dog that sniffs out fishy news said...

maybe it's not that the library didn't know about the ban. maybe the librarian was practicing a 1-person tribute to freedom-of-info by leaving the FEER mags on the shelves as a symbolic act of defiance...

Whispers from the heart said...

The fearless librarian is truly "FEER-LESS" now!

Anonymous said...

Lucky Tan,the librarian you spoke to with have many sleepless nights that ISD will come knocking on her door. May go and tell her that you are no government agent.

gwailo said...

ah ah ah that is funny!
well done.

Anonymous said...

this is not funny at all.. are you a moron or what, anonymous? This is such a serious matter.. leaving behind banned item.. what if school children reads it? They would be left with a very wrong impression of our govt. This is no laughing matter.

Anonymous said...

Shades of the burning of "unhealthy" books during the Nazi days. I think we should start a bon fire in every district....

Unlucky Teo

Anonymous said...

I think you over reacted.Singaporeans are smart enough to shift thru' facts and fiction. Needless to worry sick about minds being contaminated, and who are you to frighten off the Librarian like that ?

gwailo said...

Please let us keep personal insults in the closet ok?

Anonymous said...

You really shouldn't have done that. What if the librarian had died from shock?

Anonymous said...

poor libarian.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, burn the books! Critical thinking has no place in Singapore!

Anonymous said...

Ah, very very funny article. Will be interesting to see how the defamation case against the FEER procedes...