A well researched article talking about life in the pariah state.
You would think from the pictures of smiling people, grandeur of national day celebrations especially the parade and high level of safety from crime that the system is sustainable....but it is really falling apart for the following reasons:
1. There are a selected elites of people who enjoy better life than the poor ordinary peasant. It is despicable that while the peasants hardly have enough to make ends meet, the elites live in luxury.
2. Prices keep increasing while the pay of ordinary people remain stagnant.
3. The govt uses information control to keep the people ignorantly 'blissful'.
4. All protests are disallowed and hidden problems fester .....never get surfaced.
5. Citizens have been emigrating to other countries to escape the state.
6. The leader who is the son of the former leader is not well qualified. Many of his policies have failed. Positions given to family members are viewed negatively.
7. State resources for development are allocated based on political loyalty. Those who are found to be most loyalty (tomatos) get more than those who are not (grapes).
8. Serious problems are hidden from public view and western media is frowned upon and forbiddened. Govt relies on state media to control the people.
9. Opposition to govt is heavily repressed and is hence very weak.
I believe N. Korea will collapse soon. The system they put in place is just not sustainable....that is why they keep firing those missles to scare their neighbors. It could be a way of distracting its own populace from internal problems.