Saturday, June 09, 2007

An Elderly gets RETRAINED....

Remember all the PR on about the various schemes to help the elderly get retrained so they can work until they drop dead or become so frail that the qualify for public assistance which is enough for 2 meals a day. ...I've always wondered why so many old folks end up as cleaners even after all that retraining. For myself, I've already trained myself trained to clean tables because it is unlikely the nearby coffee shop will hire me as a helper instead of those pretty Shanghainese girls.



Read about what really happens when you try to get on one of those govt retraining programmes....

----------------
http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_127576.html
June 9, 2007

An oldie goes in search of training
MUCH has been said about retraining and putting oldies like myself back into the workforce to boost the economy. But where and how do I start?

I called the Community Development Council to ask where and how I could get retrained. The officer who answered my call asked me to call NTUC because they 'don't have retraining'. I did as told and a woman told me that they are training folks for ElderCare, i.e., as caregivers to the elderly.

Why don't I try the Centre for Seniors, she suggested. Again, I did as told.
This time, I was told: 'Oh, we train the elders who are already in the workforce. Try the Workforce Development Agency.'

Margaret Mary Chan Mui Thye (Ms)

17 comments:

zhixiang8787 said...

hahah government agencies sure love to play blame game.

what half-hearted response. shame on these government agencies...

Anonymous said...

Obviously the people from those agencies have training - training the old folks go round and round.

Anonymous said...

theres training alright, its just that it takes time for us to realize that we have been given the run around and that the bottom like is that we either take jobs that pay lowly or we take jobs that have no basic pay and pay commission.

I'm loving this !

GST goes up, all other sellers hike their prices ....wonder what about the employees pay ?

Does it go down further ?

Anonymous said...

well we can always retrain and re-retrain and re-re-retrain ourselves to accept the gst rise and others...

Anonymous said...

Just like Follow The Law movie.

Government people like to pass the job around....and after one big round...you still don't get the answer.

Anonymous said...

If the top layer is such , what would you make of the middle layer and the bottom layer ?

Anonymous said...

Hi all

am thinking of starting this club called "Jobless anonymous"

Its like we gather all the jobless people and meet up every friday.

Introduction would go something like this.

Hi! I'm Tim and I have been jobless for 2 years .

Everyone in the room would then say Hi Tim, and welcome.

This will make all of us feel that we are not alone.

Hope this idea will take off!
Am sure it will be a hit!

Anonymous said...

hi tim, u're so full of shit and bloody need to get a life.. pronto.

Anonymous said...

Just remember all these when the next election comes around... you guys know which party to vote for!

zhixiang8787 said...

tim are you trying to be satyr?

Anonymous said...

If you are unemployed, try CADC, the Chinese Association Don't know what Community. I went there once and they told me if I wanted to be a road sweeper.Pay:$400 per month.

I asked if there is other job option. The answer was a straight no.

Anonymous said...

That's how the gov train ppl ! By merry go round until old people died of exhaustion ! When asking money from us, the efficiency is damning fucking high, when ask to contribute expense as training fees, suddenly, the LeeGapore gov becomes the world slowest snail !

Anonymous said...

If you guys think that you have a chance to vote, you better emigrate ! At this rate, I won't be surprised that everything will be walkover 100% because the gov say they have no time for election due to competition and terrorist ! Next election will be every 10 years instead of 5 years.

Everyone who is deemed anti-establishment will not allow to vote. Even can vote, these ppl only have one option to vote !

Anonymous said...

Like our presidential election? They select their candidate for election and disqualify all others?

Anonymous said...

Next GE come around so what? The GE is designed so that PAP can achieve victory. In any case in the event of a freak result, some one said the military will step in to restore the status quo.

Once upon a time many decades ago, Singaporeans fought for independence. Looks like that fight had been futile. Animal farm 2007!

Anonymous said...

I seek assistance from WDA a few years ago. They called me, a year later, to conduct a survey. 3 years later, they called me and told me that they are not able to help and wants to refer me to the private headhunters.

Did they truly helping those who are jobless or did they collect individual details, keep it under lock and keys for a few years and then called them that they can help?

I seek help from NTUC, CDAC & CDC but they turn me down because I am a graduate.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anon 10.51

They cannot help you because the jobs they have are basically low-skilled and low-pay types, which they know you will not want.