Now this NMP Siew has really done it. I really think we need to select our NMPs the way we select PAP MPs with all the QC (quality control) in place. First he fails to appreciate the wonderful changes to CPF, now he is bringing up one of the most touchy issues in our society - Section 377A the law criminalising gay sex. I'm against the repeal of Section 377A and there are many reasons why we should keep it:
1. 377A is useless. The govt has said that it has no intention of enforcing the law...and unless we send every one of our policemen out to spy into bed rooms instead of looking out for pesky opposition members, this law has no practical use. Since it is useless, it should be kept! Why? Our statues are full of laws that are practically useless - like our censorship laws. In this day and age with broadband internet around why do you need to censor anything? Since there are many laws that are useless once we set the precedence to remove them, it will result in alot of work for our underpaid parliament which enacts the laws. Since most of our MPs are part-timers especially those from the PAP, it is more productive for them to create new laws and for our police to stop enforcing useless ones without removing them.
2. Repealing 377A is unjust. We have that other useless law that states that walking around naked in your own home is illegal. If we remove 377A, it will be unfair to the closet nudists whose activities remain illegal.
3. Our society is conservative.....and also very weird. They want a useless law around that does not prevent an activity that has zero impact on them whatsoever. The PAP says it has to keep 377A around to make them happy.....the PAP cares alot about people being happy that is why they raised the GST, bus fares and introduced compulsory annuities.
4. Repealing 377A is against a certain religion. My strict vegetarian friend wants to have laws to prevent people eating meat - she finds it disgustingly murderous to kill & eat something that was at one time alive and walking around. It is against her religion and it is only fair we have laws to that matches her religious beliefs. I'm a non-believer of any religion and I want laws to protect me from ridicule by people who believe in a superior being.
5. 377A is symbolic, if we remove this, they will start asking for gay marriages to be legalised. We don't have a similar law for lesbians, I guess there must be many lesbians standing outside City Hall demanding they be allowed to get married. Oh how terrifying, how is our police going handle gays, lesbians and Chee Soon Juan at the same time.
In addition to all that, the way homosexuals are portrayed in our media has helped to fan homophobia among the populace. Watch this clip on how homosexuality transformed a loving husband into a depraved uncaring person:
After 40 yrs of Singapore media, we all know gay people are almost as unnatural & evil as those politicians influenced by Western style democracy. ...but nobody can be as evil as Chee not even gay people.
There are so many good reasons to hang on to 377A, I'm sure our enlightened PAP MPs will make sure it stays around for a long time.