I've only one previous posting on the YOG[here]. It is expected that once Singapore won the bid to host the YOG, considerable resources will be set aside to ensure that the event is a success. My main concern was the tripling of budget to $387M. The govt will have to be accountable for that and show the people how the $387M was spent. Money aside, there seems to be a lack of interest in the event among the public. On the Internet, the PAP critics have pointed their guns at the YOG organisers and been firing non-stop for the past few weeks inevery single discussion forum on the Internet. Why the intense negativity and anomosity towards the YOG?......
Many see this as a PAP govt project. Something that the PAP leaders associate themselves with and are willing to move vast resources i.e. people and money to make it work....their own glory is at stake. The problem is we do not see the same commitment and enthusiasm when it comes to solving serious problems faced by Singaporeans. The YOG budget for this was rammed up to $387M without much fuss. NS men, school kids, JC students and teachers were 'volunteered' to help out. MOE bought 80% of the tickets and there was little interest from local and foreign spectators for the other 20%. Do you see the govt coordinating manpower to line flooded areas with sandbags to protect the residents? Do you see resources being channelled quickly to Singaporeans who lost their jobs during recessions to help them during the hard times? The minister in-charge of YOG, Vivian Balakrisnan vigorously debated against further increase in allowance under the PA for the poor when the cost of living rose and many were found to be skipping meals to make ends meet. Yet, for the YOG, pouring in a few extra hundred millions is no big deal and considered 'worth it'. The interests of this govt appear to have diverged from that of the ordinary folks. Therein lies the source of apathy among the public and the intense negativity on the Internet. A govt that out of habit throws the problem back at the people when they ask for help now sees the YOG being thrown back at them...YOG ? That's a PAP project. On the Internet the focus is on everything that goes wrong at the YOG.-bad (dog) food for volunteers, poor coordination at the opening ceremony, collapsed roof at basket ball match, empty seats and the list goes on...and on. We have a group of people so disenfrancised, frustrated and angry with the PAP govt that they see the YOG as a project for PAP self-aggrandizement using tax payers' money. The same money that can be used to alleviate the transport woes, floods and improve their lives.
We have people who are disinterested...we also have people who are very angry and fed up ...all this has turned somewhat ugly with people tossing one spanner after another. It would have been different if we had a govt that shows more care for the people.